Monday, May 16, 2011

Lack of Blogging...You Know What That Means!

Everyone knows when something is wrong with an athlete by a sudden pause in blogging. There is no hiding it's just it feels like there is nothing to write about. I am not going to lie, I'm in a bit of a rough patch. I worked so hard and had a flawless winter but the past few weeks haven't really gone as planned. My concussion took a while to heal...I'm not sure if heal is even the right word here. Once it did I was super excited and motivated and after a few days of easy training I was itching to really get back into it. I've had many little bumps in the road with my body not really used to this hard training stuff. After 2 bad crashes and a few weeks of nothing my body is freaking out a bit so it feels like a bit of 2 steps forward 1 step back...or honestly 1 step forward, 2 steps back at times! I also woke up with a cold on saturday just another little road block. All minor things, but strung together equals not an ideal amount of time off hard training. I know the season is long and the enormous base I built will do me good but it's getting frustrating. Now my task is to not get overly impatient like I usually do. Wish me luck!! I'll have to put my energy into cheering for the Canucks!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:38 PM

    In any endeavour there is always the hard slog to get there. In athletics this is literal....hard physical work. Unfortunately "I've been working hard" does not make fab reading. However it is how you get the medals which REALLY does make the headlines. If anyone on the ITU Elite circuit is underrated by the rankings it must be KS!. Madrid will be fascinating.....TWO Canadians on the podium?, it is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:46 AM

    You've got to follow your heart and your dreams. And sometimes you have to go way back to make that big leap. It can be rough but hang in there. And when you achieve your goals, you'll be able to look back in amazement at all that you accomplished and got through to get there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kirsten! Glad to hear you've recovered from the concussion. And I hope you've recovered from your cold already too!

    I'm sure you've heard it so much that it's losing any meaning, but I wanted to add my "hang in there!" to the pile. I can't wait to see you blaze through the coming events.

    がんばって! (Ganbatte!/Good Luck!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang tough!
    You got a nice mention at the North Shore Triathlon today!
    Must seem like a lifetime ago now since you won there, can you remember how that felt early on in your adult (?) career! My daughters eyes lit up when she heard your name over the loud speaker today. She said with a big smile "Dad, I won the same race Kirsten Sweetland won". Your hard work will solve your frustrations soon, just as it is motivating others now!
    What you accomplished a few years ago is still having an impact now, smile and have a laugh, it always helps!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:53 PM

    Hi Kirsten,
    I'm sure your coach may have suggested that you get a MRI done to check on the healing of your concussion. I would love to read that you are 100% but in reality this may not be the case and training can actually delay the healing. My suggestion is that you try to have the MRI scheduled for an afternoon time. The morning of the MRI do a very hard interval session of running or cycling at 95% of max HR. If you are indeed healed of your concussion then your MRI that afternoon will be all clear. If not... take training real easy for a few weeks to let the healing continue.
    Cheers,
    Steve_in_Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may recover fast or with patience you may recover relatively fast but in the end you will recover "faster". Looking forward to seeing the speed and intensity in competition. GO FAST

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:21 PM

    Kirsten, what happened to Madrid?

    ReplyDelete